Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wash Day

My first "Wash on Monday" was a bust. There were a couple of reasons for this.


1) Because of having Kenda Procycling (presented by Spinergy) at our house for the weekend of races in Downers Grove, I had to launder nearly every towel and sheet set in the house. I never even got to washing clothing because of all the linens.


2) It was rainy and then muggy and then rainy so I couldn't put anything on the clothesline. I use the clothesline in the backyard nearly exclusively during the spring, summer and fall, but I can't use it when the weather is bad. It needs to be breezy at the very least and preferably sunny too.


It could have been worse, of course. I could have been washing down by the creek with a washboard the way the women who wrote the rhyme did their washing. I could be making my own soap.


Speaking of which, several friends of mine DO make their own laundry soap. I have been thinking that once I master this whole chores of the week rhyme that maybe I'll branch out into stuff like that. I'm not entirely convinced that homemade laundry detergent will work as well as the big orange bottle of Tide, but it might be fun to give it a shot. One thing I will NOT try, though, is hand washing anything. Homemade soap is one thing. Using the clothesline just makes good environmental sense. But hand washing? That's taking it too far!


Iron on Tuesday is coming up next. This should be interesting as I usually iron about once a quarter and have a bit of a backlog to catch up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment