Friday, August 21, 2009

Clean Sweep

Not exactly. I don't like to sweep. I love to vacuum because you can make cool rows of lines in the carpet with the Dyson, but I hate to deal with the hardfloors.

I didn't really clean much after all. I basically just put away some laundry and cleaned out the fridge. There was a bit of clutter to deal with and that's pretty much the extent of it.

It was a Pharisee cleaning for sure (just the outside of the cup for those who are wondering), but that is OK. Sometimes that is all you have in you. The cup can soak overnight and the inside can get cleaned another time.

During the course of my first week at this new chore schedule, I was thinking again about the fact that, from a VERY early age, I never understood the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible. The story goes that Martha had a roast in the oven, veggies steaming on the stove, a table that was only half set, there was an empty roll in the bathroom because Lazarus hadn't replaced the TP, and the floors definitely hadn't been swept. Mary was in the family room with Jesus with her feet up on the coffee table.

Martha asked Jesus to make Mary help her. Now, while I agree that tattling was not Martha's brightest move that day, I never understood why she was chided and why prissy Miss Mary got patted on the back for sitting with Jesus. If Mary had gotten up and helped, EVERYONE could have sat down and enjoyed time with Jesus AND a good meal in a clean house.

There was no need for Martha to have to do it all and "just don't do it" never seemed like a good answer to me.

Tomorrow is Bake on Saturday and I think it's not going to happen. I don't believe in microwave baking (it's sick and wrong) and I haven't found a crock pot baking recipe that doesn't sound like a mushy mess. I realize that EVERYTHING that comes from a crock pot is a mooshy mess (ie, mooshy stew, mooshy roast, mooshy Italian beef) but I don't think bready things should be mooshy.

Maybe I'll just Rest on Sunday AND Saturday. Perhaps Martha had it wrong after all.

1 comment:

  1. I like to sweep. Much like dishes, Amber says I vaccuum inadequately. She doesn't so much as say it, as she implies ... but you get the picture.

    There's other stuff I don't mind doing. Like laundry. Laundry I feel is like this great accomplishment, and it's very Zenlike.

    ReplyDelete