Saturday, December 5, 2009

An Open Letter to "Stuff I Don't Need"

Dear Stuff -

I charged you on the credit card, which I had no business doing. I was feeling blue for a variety of reasons, so I bought you. I am going to do the right thing and tell Lancer and then return you. At least, return what I haven't worn yet.

Leopard shoes: you are amazing, but I don't need you. Love you, but don't need you. Yes, I understand your versatility. You looked fabulous with the jeans I was wearing and would have looked equally amazing with a pencil skirt or dress pants. And your heel is the perfect height. Not too tall, not too flat. I could have walked all over NYC in you and been fine. But I really Do. Not. Need. You.

Black peep-toes with the strap: I also don't need you. I work from home. It's a banner day when I change my underwear, so I really do not need any more dressy shoes. Yes, you were on clearance. Yes, I LOVE peep-toes and you'd have many friends in my show rack. Yes, you are very different from any other black shoe I own. Trust me, Black peep-toes with the straps, I already said all these things to myself and yet the truth remains: I don't really need you.

Black flats by Rocket Dog: I actually DO need you. You are replacing a pair I got from Target that are showing their age and their cheapness. Maybe you can stay. We'll have to see. If I can only keep one pair, I admit you are the only one I can justify. But frankly, you aren't much fun at all compared to Leopard or Black peep-toes with the strap.

Assorted cheap clothes from Old Navy: well, I've ripped the tags off you already and worn a few of you this evening, so I think you are staying. Along with the tights I bought at the shoe store. I atually do need the tights and the Old Navy stuff is just fun and was all on sale or on clearance.

I think this is a reasonable compromise. I got the thrill of buying each of you and the temporary relief from my blue-ness. You got the joy of my adoration for a bit. But I promise you this: someone else will re-buy you. You will not be back in the store for long. I just know it.

In you debt,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Oh, can I ever relate.

    A friend of mine went to a "Let go of your stuff!" type seminar, and the speaker recommended holding the item you wish to buy for a moment, saying "I enjoyed the time we have spent together, but I do not need you," and then returning it to the shelf.

    This has yet to work for me.

    ReplyDelete